Sunday, August 21, 2011

Concerned about Guildwars 2

I 've been really excited about Guildwars 2 ever since they released information about charecter's personal story and a world full of dynamic events. But recently I've had the wild taken out of my sails by concerns I have with the crafting and PvP system.

  I've read that crafting will be moving away from the fairly passive buy/learn recipe system that many current games use and towards a discovery system like EQ1 used where you combine different things and hope to come up with a item. Its good that Anet has choosen a more active, creative system but I'm worried it just rewards the guy with the free time to randomly try combines, or more likely with a bot to do it for him. I'd rather see a system where at least some recipes are learned through dynamic craft events..like if you make a sword in a village that is getting attacked the village elder gives you a recipe.

I've read that the Pvp system will be basically a clone of Warcrafts Battleground system..and while that is a good system...Anet and Guilwars is know for its pvp and I would like them to take a step beyond what everyone else is offering right now and make Pvp meaningful again like it was in Dark Age of Camelot. Winning "conquests" should have some effect on the world...though how they will do that with no set teams/races I'm not sure.

No comments:

Quotes

At a certain stage the realization strikes through that one must either live outside of society's bonds or die of absolute boredom. There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and the only other life is complete rejection of the rules. There is no longer room for the soldier of fortune or the gentleman adventurer who can live both within and outside of society. Today it is all or nothing. To save my own sanity I chose the nothing.

-James Bolivar DiGriz