Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The dysfunctional gaming industry

 Ya..I know..like we need to hear about yet another broken system. Le sigh. Anyhoo I read a great article that lays out the problems gamers, game makers, and game sellers are dealing with and I thought I'd share it with you.

My take - its all the Internet's fault. Legion of internet opinions from gamers are causing too many cooks in the kitchen. The "social media" phenomenon has opened the door to marketing/publishing idiots who games come secondary to advertising and labeling consumers. And "inter connectivity" lures resources away from games and towards making sure you can watch tv play games and order a pizza with the same system.

As a gamer I really do want to play the same games over and over and I wish the artists people out there would just accept that. And I dont want my game to also connect me with my 2nd grade teacher when I mispell something. I remember a time when a game machine was just about games..what was so wrong with that? I rember when - if I wanted information about the next game coming out I had to buy a magazine rather than have a banner pop up in the middle of the game or the require that I buy the new game in order to continue playing the old one. 

The Internet has matured to the point where everybody has a voice, and the barriers separating the voice of the well-informed from the probably insane have never been lower

No comments:

Quotes

At a certain stage the realization strikes through that one must either live outside of society's bonds or die of absolute boredom. There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and the only other life is complete rejection of the rules. There is no longer room for the soldier of fortune or the gentleman adventurer who can live both within and outside of society. Today it is all or nothing. To save my own sanity I chose the nothing.

-James Bolivar DiGriz