Sunday, March 3, 2013

Service Provider

My business card proclaims me a "social service provider"..it was the title of my first visitation/supervision job so many years ago and its sorta stuck even though most of what I do nowadays is quite different. To me, being a service provider isnt a job, its a way of living. On the radio today I heard a priest put this philosophy into words:

The truth is, it's mutual and that, as much as we are called to bridge the distance that exists between us, we have to acknowledge that there's a distance even in service. You know, a service provider, you're the service recipient and you want to bridge even that so that you can get to this place of utter mutuality. And I think that's where the place of delight is, you know, that I've learned everything of value really in the last 25 years from precisely the people who you think are on the receiving end of my gifts and talent and wisdom, but quite the opposite. It's mutual.

Thats Father Boyle being interviewed on NPR "On being" radio show. What he says there is so true; I'm not some well spring of generosity or bleeding heart saint. Engaging people and helping them usually leads to great experiences that are more interesting and rewarding then doing anything else I can consider doing. Life is just more interesting when you experience all of it; especially the parts you normally wouldn't normally have thought of doing. Other people can open doors you just never considered or would on you own. I do this sorta work because I tend to benefit greatly in the form of unique and treasured experiences. In that regard its a totally selfish devotion.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this blog piece. It was thoughtful and very touching. It shows a lot of wisdom on your part.
Keep writing these types of things that shares who you are without expectations of others lives. This is your journey.

Quotes

At a certain stage the realization strikes through that one must either live outside of society's bonds or die of absolute boredom. There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and the only other life is complete rejection of the rules. There is no longer room for the soldier of fortune or the gentleman adventurer who can live both within and outside of society. Today it is all or nothing. To save my own sanity I chose the nothing.

-James Bolivar DiGriz