Sunday, March 10, 2013

Movie Review : Oz

I liked it. Oz is worth seeing but doesnt fill the ruby slippers of its predecessor.   The Wizard of Oz universe is so rich and untapped and its the world we get to visit that really carries the movie. The goal of a prequel is to answer some questions left open by the first movie and it certainly satisfies this requirement. This is one of the first movies I can think of where I was actually hoping for it to be broken up into a trilogy just to get to know more of the land of Oz and its people. I liked Mila Kunis' Theodora character - I think she was my favorite even though again the actress doesnt do the role justice. She had a kool hat and for some strange reason that for me was a major selling point. Oz the main character is actually my least favorite and I agree with many of the movies critics that James Franco just isnt up to the role. Truth be told the acting all around isnt great, but the interesting settings tend to distract you from that. Hopefully someone with more ambition and a better casting director will revisit this world in the near future. Its a good start though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved you review, makes me want to put this on the list. Mila Kunis is Jewish by the by and should be on your love list. Just kidding.
I love the hat also.

Quotes

At a certain stage the realization strikes through that one must either live outside of society's bonds or die of absolute boredom. There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and the only other life is complete rejection of the rules. There is no longer room for the soldier of fortune or the gentleman adventurer who can live both within and outside of society. Today it is all or nothing. To save my own sanity I chose the nothing.

-James Bolivar DiGriz