Monday, November 11, 2013

My visit with the God of Abraham

Last night I had a really vivid dream. I often have complicated "real feeling" dreams but this one really felt like it was me..just somewhere else. It started out with me teaching scuba diving lessons at some huge stone, square pillar thing in the middle of the ocean. There was another scuba group there and they were misbehaving somehow though I dont remember now what they were doing. I think it was something destructive to the coral. Anyhow I decided to go and complain to the owner of that scuba club, who lived in a giant overturned ark and turned out to be a Jewish Rabbi. Healthy-skinny, white American jewish young-ish man with a long will trimmed black beard short black hair and a skullcap. The inside of his arc-house has all well polished wood, gold candelsticks, large rooms with vaulted ceiling far from the floor. He invited us in and we went to his study where he listened to my complaint and said he didnt manage the club actively and I'd have to take it up with the guys misbehaving. So he walked us back to the door (where we passed the bedroom of an ex-girlfriend of mine who was apparently staying with this guy) and before I left I told him, with the purpose of a 1-uping him, I was also a Rabbi and could sing Hebrew. The huge vaulted ceiling had impressed me with their acoustic potential (which I remember saying to myself in the dream) and I belted out the most beautiful heartbreaking version of the prayer over the wine I've ever heard, which was amplified and echo'd by the wooding ceilings. This is the really vivid part of the dream. I can still remember how melodic I sung. At some point my voice was hijacked and the voice singing became feminine and even more lovely and I got the impression that it was coming from the ceiling itself. At which point the Rabbi said "You realize we we could really use a beautiful voice like that in our congregation, and I said "you realize we are destine to be lifelong enemies?" This was over the scuba diving issue..and I didnt think of him as a god at the time..but I remember thinking about the voices sing back in terms of angels at the time. The Rabbi smiled sadly and let us out. And that was the end of the dream.

I am thinking the Rabbi was the Jewish God and the feminizing voice was the angels in Heaven singing back at me. I didnt realize in the dream but the prayer over the wine starts with a blessing about how great god is..so I was trying to one-up this God by blessing him and telling him he is great? Prob thought I was a idiot.

No comments:

Quotes

At a certain stage the realization strikes through that one must either live outside of society's bonds or die of absolute boredom. There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and the only other life is complete rejection of the rules. There is no longer room for the soldier of fortune or the gentleman adventurer who can live both within and outside of society. Today it is all or nothing. To save my own sanity I chose the nothing.

-James Bolivar DiGriz