Saturday, December 14, 2013

Quick Hobbit 2 review

Thumbs up. Didnt follow the books storyline at all (for example gandalf never goes 1-1 with sauron in any of the books and there isnt a dwarf-elf romance in the books) but regardless I dont think my interest wavered at all during the 3 hours. Its clear to me the directors learned a lot from LotR(which I hated) and have refined their art even more with these Hobbit movies. Looks like the animators had a lot of fun making smaug..the last like 45 minutes is filled with him chasing the dwarves through the lonely mountain VERY reminiscent of the Scooby Doo cliche where they run through various doors all on the same floor. I'm in a funny spot with this movie- the Hobbit was HUGE for me as a kid, but I never read the book. I was addicted to the radio drama via books on tape. The first program I ever wrote was a choose your own adventure Hobbit game for the Apple. I guess the story is good where ever you get it, though again..these movies are leaving the actual story behind and making up a new one.

No comments:

Quotes

At a certain stage the realization strikes through that one must either live outside of society's bonds or die of absolute boredom. There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and the only other life is complete rejection of the rules. There is no longer room for the soldier of fortune or the gentleman adventurer who can live both within and outside of society. Today it is all or nothing. To save my own sanity I chose the nothing.

-James Bolivar DiGriz