Tuesday, October 22, 2013

No games for old men (on the ps3)

In order to see how the other half (console gamers) lives I went out and picked up a ps3 and a couple games that I thought might interest me. I purposely avoided gratuitously violent games like GTA or Call of Duty.

I have 26 games currently uploaded from Steam on my computer and of those 4 involve some of sort of personal humaniod avatar punching/hitting casting at etc a humanoid. And of those 4 only one is semi realistic and the other 3 are cartoon-like/artisticly rendered worlds.

Of the 10 games I found for ps3 that I thought might interest me, only 1, MLB "The Show" doesn't directly involve the player pressing buttons to punch/hit/kick etc a realistic humanoid character.And all of the fighting is realistically rendered and human(oid) on human(oid). Even Ratchet and Clank (playstations answer to mario) involves constantly shooting people to reach the objective. 

Having been brought up on super mario brother and civilizations, and not being a "gun guy", I really have no interest in playing games where you physically fight your way to the goal. And the way you get to your goal, the way you win, is starkly different from computer to console.

While the computer hosts all sorts of different types of games and the games I like the most are strategy games. It shocked me to find that in the entire ps3 library of over 300+ different games I know of only 1 (Civilizations:revolution) that is a strategy title. 1 thinking games 2200 billion press the button to hit someone in the face inorder to win games.  

Anyone who doesn't think modern console video games, even the non-shooters like lego batman, arnt training the brains of our kids that they need to punch, kick or shoot in order to win is fooling themselves.

No comments:

Quotes

At a certain stage the realization strikes through that one must either live outside of society's bonds or die of absolute boredom. There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and the only other life is complete rejection of the rules. There is no longer room for the soldier of fortune or the gentleman adventurer who can live both within and outside of society. Today it is all or nothing. To save my own sanity I chose the nothing.

-James Bolivar DiGriz