Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bad Schools : Bad Reporting

I posted a story in a news posts about a 9yo who was suspended from school for being overheard calling his teacher cute. Fox News is reporting that the Principle who made that decision has been forced into retirement. However a little more digging from other news sources show that the principle actually chose to retire rather than accept accountability. Shocking that a public employee would choose to collect all his benefits and not have to work rather than face the music isnt it?
As far as I can tell the whole situation is a charlie foxtrot. The kids should not have been punished and the Principle, unless there a whole lot that we dont know about him, should not have been given the ultimatum of demotion or retirement over this small issue. but it got me thinking - really why is this National News? I'm sure lots of good things happen at this school that dont make Fox News or my blog. Am I as guilty as Fox News for sensationalist journalism? Are we "down" on the public school system because all we hear is the negatives? We know Public Schools arnt doing well but unlike the foster care system as far as I know they arnt killing kids or permanently scarring their mental health.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deep thinking. I like it...

Quotes

At a certain stage the realization strikes through that one must either live outside of society's bonds or die of absolute boredom. There is no future or freedom in the circumscribed life and the only other life is complete rejection of the rules. There is no longer room for the soldier of fortune or the gentleman adventurer who can live both within and outside of society. Today it is all or nothing. To save my own sanity I chose the nothing.

-James Bolivar DiGriz